Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chicken Pesto Penne

My version of Pizza Hut's Chicken Pesto Penne, I cooked this for our New Year's Eve feast, it was my first time to try it without a concrete recipe to boot but to my amazement it was an instant favorite amongst my family, either luck was on my side or I'm really getting good at this craft *grins*.

And as I am super proud of my work, though I'm sure it won't compare to the recipes of other foodies, I am joining Presto Pasta Nights which is hosted this week by Gay of A Scientist in the Kitchen.


Ingredients:
  • penne pasta (500g, San Remo)
  • 1 chicken breast (or as much as you like)
  • 1 big can of evaporated milk
  • 1 tetra pack of all-purpose cream
  • 1/2 bar of cheddar cheese, cubed or grated
  • 3-4 tablespoon of Barilla Pesto alla Genovese
  • olive oil
  • butter
  • fish sauce or salt
  • pepper
  • sugar (optional)

Procedures:
  • Boil the chicken until tender. Cut the meat into cubes (as I did) or you can just shred it. Set aside.
  • Cook the penne as instructed on the packaging. Put the chicken bones on the water that you'll use to cook the pasta to add flavor.
  • Heat a pan or wok and pour an adequate amount of olive oil for sauteing, add a little amount of butter to enhance its taste.
  • Saute 3-4 tablespoons (or as much as you prefer) of pesto.
  • Add the chicken meat, some salt or fish sauce (I prefer the fish sauce as it adds a little tang to the dish) and a little of ground pepper, and saute some more.
  • Add the all purpose cream and the evaporated milk while constantly stirring.
  • Before it reach its boiling point, drop the cheese, stir and let it simmer for a few minutes or until the cheese have melted, be sure to keep on stirring from time to time.
  • Taste the sauce, if the milk didn't give enough sweetness to counter the taste of pesto, you can add a little sugar, just be sure not to over-indulge, you don't want a penne pesto dessert *grins*. If you want it a little spicy add some more pepper, if you want it more salty add some more salt, you know the drill.
  • When you're satisfied and all, bring it to a boil and you're done.
  • Toss it with the penne pasta and serve.



My first (hopefully not the last) entry for:

6 comments:

Enchie said...

yummy! i'll make some this weekend ;)

Ruth Daniels said...

What a great version to share with Presto Pasta Nights. I can't wait to try some.

Hope to see many more of your creations on Presto Pasta Night.

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

This looks so delicious! Rich and creamy and so comforting!

Sara said...

This looks SO SO good! I LOVE pasta with creamy pesto sauce...so yummy! :)

Joanne said...

I definitely see why this was a crowd pleaser on new years! Great dish.

Thomas said...

Looks great! I will put this on my "list" :)